In honor of Erin “JoJo” Cowan, this scholarship recognizes Portland youth and the role of athletics in creating future leaders.
Applicants will qualify for the scholarship if the following criteria are met.
- Must be a high school senior, in good standing at a Portland Interscholastic League (PIL) school.
- Hold a cumulative 3.0 GPA
- Exhibit strong leadership and character within your school and community.
- Will be attending an accredited higher education institution in the fall, after graduating high school.
This will be a one-time scholarship, awarded to an incoming college student in the first year of their undergraduate studies. The scholarship will be used only for books, fees, and tuition.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
1. An official, unopened high school transcript.
2. Two letters of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, coach, or school administrator.
3. A student essay stating why he/she seeks the scholarship or personal statement.
4. Current headshot photo.
Charitable donations will be the main source of funding for the scholarship. Other fundraising events will be considered as well to help raise money for the scholarship.
All money for the scholarship will be deposited into the Erin Cowan Foundation c/o the Erin Cowan Scholarship Fund.
The selection committee will be appointed by the board of the foundation. The committee will consist of 5 members each year, 2 members will be from the Erin Cowan Foundation, 3 members will be from the Portland community.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit the completed application with the required materials via mail or email.
Mailed applications should be postmarked no later than Monday, May 15, 2023. Applications posted after May 15, 2023, will not be considered.
Please send all required materials to:
Erin Cowan Foundation Scholarship Committee
c/o Dr. Robin R. Beavers
1830 NW Riverscape St #408
Portland, OR 97209
Completed applications can also be emailed with all required materials to: email@example.com
We are proud of our past Erin Cowan Foundation scholarship recipients selected in partnership with OSAC (Oregon Office of Student Access and Completion).
- Lakota Bailey – Lane Community College
- Lindell Betts – Lewis & Clark University
- Geedi Ali – University of Oregon
- Bri’yana Brown-Dunn – Oregon State University
- Geedi Ali a 2nd year scholarship recipient attending University of Oregon
- Wendy Green from Jefferson High School
- Taliilagi Aumavae from Jefferson High School
- Mekdes Hilete from Jefferson High School
- Geedi Ali from Benson High School
- Audrey Kendall from Franklin High School
- Jordan McCallister from Grant High School
- Willie Harris from Benson High School
Erin Cowan Foundation is exempt 501(c)(3) EIN: 83-4180876